View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2024, 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Windscreen Wiper and Indicators Stopping 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Windscreen Wiper and Indicators Stopping
Ask your boss to show you how to use a multimeter for measuring volts and continuity/ohms.
Then buy a multimeter from Ebay for a tenner.

October 20th, 2024, 5:49 pm
Firing on two.

Great idea Roger.

The trouble is, it seems an imtermittent thing anyway. It has got worse, its never been this bad. And it seems nothing I have done has helped it.

If it won't start on Monday (I hope not) my boss will come to mine with his multimeter. If it will I'll take it there.

October 20th, 2024, 6:06 pm
Firing on two.

Just linking this thread. Partly because there is testing advice from Roger.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6342

October 20th, 2024, 6:21 pm
Firing on two.

The car is still totally dead. The ignition comes on but no power to starter solenoid. Boss came for a bit but will have to come back. He found that power is getting down the line from the ignition and across the fuses. But that's as far as we got, still nothing at the starter.

So I obviously have two different problems, since indicators and wipers are all working fine. Just no starter.

I wonder if it'll hand crank. Haven't done that for ages, I got really good at it back in the day. I spent. A year without a starter motor once because of poverty!

But boss will come back for more testing.

One of the relays on the bulkhead seems to be an ignition relay he said. What the actual purpose of it is I'm unsure of but he said he didn't think it was starter related.

October 21st, 2024, 6:44 pm
Firing on two.

If anyone has a diagram of the ignition switch layout that would be useful apparently?

I've never managed to find one.

Yesterday, 4:15 pm
Firing on two.

For the starter check the ignition lock, broken or loose connectors?? Check the thin wires on the stater motor no broken connectors under the rubber boot? Also check the yellow wire from the negative battery connector to the car body. And the mass cable from battery to gearbox.

Yesterday, 6:34 pm
Firing on two.

Ian
Do you have jump leads?

Yesterday, 8:15 pm
Firing on two.

I have jump leads in the boot, yep. Never needed them, always used the cranky handle. I think I should try the cranky handle! But it's a bit difficult at the moment.

Yesterday, 10:36 pm
Firing on two.

Ianredspecial wrote:
If anyone has a diagram of the ignition switch layout that would be useful apparently?

There is three wires to ignition switch. One is supply from battery, one to supply power everywhere when ignition is on, and the last is direct to starter motor solenoid...

At on -position, two of them is connected together, and at start -position the third is also connected. Simple as that, nothind special there...

Easy to test with two short cables, there is nothing to make wrong when testing. If you connect two wires, but not with the battery supply, nothing happens. If starter wire is connected to supply, only starter operates but nothing else...

Ianredspecial wrote:
One of the relays on the bulkhead seems to be an ignition relay he said. What the actual purpose of it is I'm unsure of but he said he didn't think it was starter related.

There isn't originally any ignition relay. But with Dim-Dip headlights, relays may operate, and make that suggestion about ignition relay...

But, if someone has fitted an ignition relay, to save ignition switch, then there can be ignition relay. I know a lot of owners has fit that, and with the ignition relay the result is usually better, non-flickering charging also, more steady charging voltage etc...

Today, 10:09 am
Firing on two.

Today I tried that with some wires, and nothing. Ignition on, absolutely no life at all from starter.

Tried to start it with the crank handle too but it didn't go. (Also the front cowling seems to have come somewhat loose?!)

50 minutes ago
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2